I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions. They’re mostly wishful thinking – great expectations that lead to spectacular disappointment within weeks.
So I avoid them.
But I do like making New Year’s reaffirmations. It’s my way of saying, out loud, that I affirm the choices I’m making and the direction I’m heading.
In 2009, I reaffirm:
- My commitment to healthy eating and healthy activity. To kick things off the right way, today I’m running the New Year’s Day 5 miler (likely running and walking!) and preparing my shopping list for a trip to my favorite organic grocery store.
- My attempts at a more balanced life. I’m continuing to distill my commitments into the few that matter most to me.
- Our prudent approach to life. Budgeting and saving, living below our means – now we’re jumping into the real estate market to buy a house.
- Our desire to re-engage in our local body of believers.
- My love for our kitties. (This has already been sorely tried when I came home the other evening to find that they’d pulled the curtains – bracket and all – off the wall in the guest bedroom!)