This is a remarkably delicious and filling dinner – perfect on a cold day (or night).
Tuscan White Bean Skillet
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 c drained and chopped oil-packed sun dried tomatoes (Trader Joe’s makes this easy…sold julienned!)
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans drained and rinsed cannelini beans
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1 t sugar
Heat one tablespoon oil in 10-inch cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat until shimmering. Working in batches, add the mushrooms to the pan in a single layer and brown for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Add remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan; add the onions and saute until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and cook until fragrant and softened, another 2 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes to the pan, along with the beans, salt, pepper, thyme, and sugar. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium, and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Serve with plenty of crusty bread.