Battling the boy cats to put sheets on our bed, in addition to normal wear-and-tear, led to more tear than we’d like in our sheets.
Fortunately Macy’s had a giant sale – 700 thread count Egyptian Cotton blend sheets for just $50 (normally $130). I ordered two sets right away.
But here’s my surprising discovery, very expensive 700 thread count sheets still feel as scratchy at 200 thread count sheet sets.
Some of this is to be expected – sheets are heavily starched so they look nice in the packaging. But even a good pass through the laundry machine wasn’t enough to help the sheets from feeling like this:
Here’s the solution – and it’s a time consuming one but well worth the effort.
- Buy a box of washing soda (available at Walmart) and a large container of vinegar (Walmart is also a great place to buy store-brand at an affordable price).
- Find an old sock and grab a bottle of your favorite essential oil – I love the lavender I use in my homemade bath salts.
- Grab two dryer balls.
- Fill the washing machine with warm water and add 1 cup of washing soda, then the sheets. Let the cycle run.
- During the rinse cycle, add 1/2 cup vinegar.
- Shake several dashes of essential oil on the old sock and toss it in the dryer. Add the sheets, then the dryer balls.
- Dry sheets completely in the dryer on medium heat.
- Repeat this process three times.
Your sheets will now be buttery smooth and oh-so-soft. Well worth the effort of washing and drying them for half of the day!