I’ve always been one for celebrating the traditions of the places where I live. Since moving to the south, that means a nice bowl of black eyed peas for good luck on New Year’s Day.
This is our favorite recipe for black eyed peas…and honestly, we eat them all year.
Quick Hoppin John
- 1 c chopped yellow or orange pepper
- 1 c diced red onion
- 1 small can diced green chiles (or 1/2 c leftover roasted Hatch green chiles, chopped)
- 2 cans black eyed peas
- 1/2 lb ground beef, browned
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage, browned
- 1/2 c broth (I usually use vegetable broth)
Saute pepper and onion in 1 T olive oil. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over rice or with corn bread.