I love posole, but making a proper posole takes time.
That I don’t have.
This, however, satisfies both my desire for posole on a cold day and my scant time available for cooking.
- 1 T olive oil
- 3/4 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 2 t minced garlic
- 12 oz pkg frozen chopped onion and celery mix
- 8 canned tomatillos, coarsely chopped
- 1 15 oz can white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 28-32 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c chopped skinless boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 ripe peeled avocado, diced
- Cilantro leaves
- Tortilla chips
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion/celery mix. Saute 2 minutes. Stir in tomatillos, cook 1 minute. Add broth and hominy, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook for 8 minutes. Stir in chicken, cook 1 minute or until heated through. Remove from heat, stir in lime juice, salt and pepper. Serve topped with avocado, cilantro and tortilla chips.
Some people also top with thinly sliced radishes, but my love doesn’t like radishes so we skip them.